Expressing a promise

The Goose with the Golden Eggs
Well, here is the story. One day countryman was going to the nest of his goose and found there was an egg all yellow and glittering. When he took it up, it was as heavy as lead and he was going to throw it away, because he thought a trick had been played upon him. But he took it home on a second thought and soon found to his delight that it was an egg of pure gold. Every morning the same thing occurred and he soon became rich by selling its eggs. As he grew rich he grew greedy and thought to get at once all the gold the goose could give. He killed the goose and opened it: only to find nothing.


Expressing a promise

Asking for a promise:
Promise me that you will get me all the water  I can drink.
Do you promise to take care of the bird if we get one?
Make me a promise, will you?
I want you to promise that you’ll love me forever.
Is that a promise?
Do you give me your word on that?
Do you swear that you won’t forget me?

Offering a promise:
I promise I’ll do whatever you want.
I promise you that I’ll try to be on time next time.
I promise to love you endlessly.
It’s a promise.
I give you my word on that.
You have my word on it.
I swear that my love is only for you.