Offering

Listen to the conversation between Tuti and Mrs. Shelley. Then, arrange the following pictures in order.


Tuti         : Would you like a cup of tea, Mrs. Shelley?
Mrs. Shelley : Yes, please. Thank you. Hmm…This tea tastes good and smells fragrant
Tuti         : Thank you. I’m glad you like it.
Mrs. Shelley : Tell me, how do Indonesians prepare a cup of tea?
Tuti               : Well, first fill in the kettle with some water from the tap. Then, place it     on the stove and wait until the water is boiling.
Mrs. Shelley : What do you do then?
Tuti               : Next, put one or two teaspoonfuls of tea leaves into a teapot. Pour the boiling water into the teapot. To obtain the best flavor, the tea should soak for three to five minutes before being served.
Mrs. Shelley : Hmmm…Then, what do you do?
Tuti               : Finally, pour the tea into cups and don’t forget to add some sugar in it. Stir     it. The tea is ready to be served. Unlike in England, Mrs. Shelley, we don’t take milk in our tea.







Get It Right

Ways to say it: Offering

Offering to older people:
Would you like a cup of coffee, Mr. Green?
Should I get you a bottle of water?
Could I offer you a glass of lemonade, Mrs. Lina?
Would you care for some salad?

Offering to friends
Want some?
Have some.
Chocolate?
Glass of lemonade?
Grab some for yourself.
Would you like to have a pancake?
Why don’t you have some lemonade?
What can I get for you?
What will you have?

Declining an offer:
No, thanks.
No, I really won’t thank you.
Not for me, thanks.
No, thanks. I’m not hungry.
-

Accepting an offer:
Thank you
Yes, please
I’d like it very much
Thank you, I would
That would be very nice